Implants are titanium screw shaped structures that can be integrated and blended into the jawbone to artificially replace the roots of teeth. Titanium fixtures allow the restoration of lost teeth safely and comfortably, and avoid complications arising from their absence: shifting of the rest of the teeth favouring periodontal diseases, dental decay, digestive problems, bone loss and jaw joint problems, among others.
Regarding the implants, different types of prosthesis can be placed above the gum line: from a single dental crown to a more than one tooth bridge, and even complete prosthesis. Prosthesis mimic the appearance and functionality of a natural tooth. Implants return chewing function and improve the appearance and health of the mouth, getting the patient to regain a smile.
Dental implant treatment
- A detailed study of the medical history of the patient, as well as the initial oral conditions is essential prior to the intervention. During this process we use other complementary diagnostics methods (radiography, CT, models, photographs…) in order to obtain the maximum safety in the result of the treatment.
- The implant is placed into de bone, under local anaesthesia and in a simple and painless procedure.
- After the surgery, the implant is set aside in the bone between 2 and 5 months (depending on location), with the aim that the implant integrates or fuses with the bone and osseointegration occurs.
- Once the healing and osseointegration time has passed, measures are taken to initiate the development of the prosthesis.
Benefits of dental implants
- Dental implants improve both the aesthetics of the smile and the functionality of the mouth.
- The patient regains all their teeth and the ability to chew and eat naturally and without pain.
- The patient improves health wise, as the placement of implants prevents the degeneration of bone following the loss of a tooth and eases premature wearing and rupturing of the other dental parts.
- Titanium implants are biocompatible with the body and do not affect, nor harm natural teeth.
- Implants are a final and lasting solution to restore missing teeth without a traumatic or painful experience.